The 1856 College Building in Yadkin College North Carolina, built under the auspices of the Methodist Protestant church and funded by Henry Walser, a local resident. The school began as “Yadkin Institute,” a high school for men, and was chartered a college in 1861, just months before the beginning of the American Civil War.
The building is framed in wood and is constructed of a brick exterior, with stucco of a light pinkish-orange hue applied over the brick to appear as a more expensive stone.
The school building was built in the classical revival architectural style, popular on college campuses in the mid-nineteenth century; meant to evoke a feeling of the temple form architecture (and maybe the academic ideals) of ancient Greece and Rome. The building looks similar, albeit on a smaller scale, to Old East and Old West on the campus of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, 90 miles away; and to a lesser extent, Philanthropic Hall and Eumenean Hall on the campus of Davidson College in Davidson, 50 miles away.
The original College Building served Yadkin College for 24 years (though it sat empty during the American Civil War, as most of its students were away fighting in the conflict). A larger 3 story brick building, now demolished, replaced it in 1880. The building was then utilized as a small tobacco factory, to serve the many tobacco farms that occupied the rolling hills on Yadkin College’s high ridge above the Yadkin River. Today a farm family has commandeered the structure as a storage building. Inside and around back are stored hay, farm implements and tools. The grounds serve as a parking lot for the owner’s collection of Ford trucks.
(click on photograph for full size image)