Top: Improvised basketball goal at overflow parking lot for patrons and staff of the stores located in Brightleaf Square and Peabody Place.
Bottom: Exterior wall of what was originally built as the Center Theater, opening in 1966 in the parking lot of the Lakewood Shopping Center. The movie theater operated until 2001. The building now serves as the temporary home of the First Calvary Baptist Church of Durham, a congregation dating back to the 1920’s. The church is erecting a new church building in the Morehead Hill section of Durham.