Top: Granite Structure with bronze statue of soldier dressed in period clothes. The monument sits on the battleground site in a grove of pine trees, behind the 1880 monument. The granite and bronze structure was created in 1915 and placed on the site of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, 34 miles to the northwest in Greensboro NC to remind visitors of the Battle of Alamance. 4 bronze plaques adorn the middle of the granite structure. One side summarizes the Battle of Alamance. One tells a short story of the Regulator movement, and the hanging of the Regulators at Hillsborough, NC. One side lists a series of perceived “firsts” by North Carolinians in the Revolutionary War. The fourth side eulogizes James Hunter, called on the plaque the “General of the Regulators,” or leader of the settlers who fought against the Loyalists in the Battle of Alamance. The plaque lists 5 campaigns he fought in as leader, including the Battle of Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781. This granite structure was moved to the Alamance Battlefield in 1961, when it was proven that James Hunter did not fight at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.
Middle: Bronze plaque, one of four on the 1915 granite monument, commemorating the Battle of Alamance as ‘the first battle of the Revolutionary War.”
Bottom: Detail of bathroom, connected to main visitor’s center by steel girder and open breezeway. The visitor’s center, a mostly brick structure with metal roof and columns painted a pale pea green was erected in 1961 by the State of North Carolina. The visitor’s center consists of two rooms, an open room consisting of museum, gift shop and office; and a small auditorium. It is built in the modern institutional style favored by North Carolina for state owned buildings constructed in the 1960’s.